Friday 6 November 2009

Week 8: Would Really Like This Week To Go Smoothly

The first task for this week is a light tutorial, I was really happy about this as I wanted to learn more about lighting in 'Blender' as my knowledge is pretty basic. I started out my using the box as the model as shown in the tutorial, then followed with the 'Monkey' also, then when it came to using my rose as suggested it kept crashing, I tried to work through it but it was just too slow, i'm not sure why i'm guessing my rose file is too big purhaps. So instead I decided to play around with different lighting effects with different models and landscapes i'd created as suggested at the end of the tutorial, here are some of them:



This is the monkey with three point lighting, you can really see the orange and blue light on here, I couldnt get the monkey positioned perfectly so there was no shadow on the face, but I think it still represents the idea and shows the lighting.






This is the monkey at the end of the tutorial, I think it looks really shiny, and shows the lighting of great, especially the orange which is shown really well in the position of the monkey.





Fork with normal lighting, pale gray background. I had never thought to change the background colour until suggested on the tutorial, I think a pale background makes the object stand out, I shall be doing this in my future models.










Although this render is quite small, you can clearly see that the fork is much brighter than with original lighing, you can also see some dimension as the lighting has created shaded areas.







This is the fork which followed the whole tutorial with the extra lighing,the soft blue is very aparent in this render. Also the difference from the fork with the original lighting to this render is obvious, good lighing can make a model look much better.



This is the fork with higher colour energy and a brighter orange and blue. Suprisingly this works quite well and doesn't look out of place.






Finally I decided to play around with the landscape i'd created last week as the shape is more complex, I initially replicated the three point lighting, then decided to up the energy on the colours, I found that they didnt show through that strong even after that, so I decided to add a few spotlights to the top of the landscape and I think it shows them off quite well you can see the orange reflect especially. I dont by any means think this looks realistic what so ever, but it was good to play around with different possible effects to learn what works and what doesn't.






The second tutorial for this week is called 'IraKrakov UV Unwrapping' I found this tutorial very straight forward and easy to follow, I didnt have any problems until the end, when I had to add the file with the globe image into 'Blender' It said on the tutorial that using 'Photoshop' would work just as well as 'Gimp' as I have a copy of 'Photoshop' I decided to use that instead, therefore some of the instructions were slightly different so I had to use my own initiative.The problem arose when the image didnt open on 'Blender' I clicked on it but it just never showed up, I spent a little while trying to work it out, I decided that 'Blender' didnt like the format, so I opened the file into 'Paint' and saved it again, this time it worked. After that it was straight forward again, here is my end result:





The last tutorial for this week was another one on UV mapping, but it had a slightly different approach to the last one, in fact it seemed quicker, but maybe that was because some of it was the same as the previous one. The only problem I had with it was once I rendered it, it came up with the pattern but when I tried to do it again to get a screen shot it disapeared so I had to start again, but I didnt take very long as I think I've got the hang of it now.





No comments:

Post a Comment